Monday, January 14, 2013

Guest Post: I Don't Read by Rachel Carrington

See the title of this post? Over the Christmas holidays, a friend said those words to me. It wasn't that he couldn't read; he just didn't read, except for maybe a headline on his favorite search engine. I think my head spun a little because, for the first time in a very, very long time, I was at a loss for words. 

As both a reader and a writer, I could not imagine going a day without reading something more beyond a headline. How could I resist the urge to get lost in someone else's imagination or learn from another person's experience? 

After I found my tongue, I asked him what he did when he wasn't at work. Television and video games were at the top of his list. In his mind, television was exactly like reading because the scripts were written. The only difference was the written word was being brought to life. At that point, I'm pretty sure my eyes rolled back in my head. 

I imagine every author would love to see their words come to life; however, their first love is the book. Words on paper were here long before technology and, though many people will argue this, they will never go away. 

Books have fed the imaginations of children worldwide, have created a hunger in new authors to try their own hand at writing, and have comforted many of us late at night when sleep remained elusive. In the pages of a book, we can step out of our own lives and become the character that wins the war, unites a nation, and lives happily ever after. And we don't have to worry about our book not being available if the power goes out. Our journey can continue. 

My argument failed to convince my friend, but just as I hadn't changed his mind, he certainly would never change mine. Each book I read is like opening up a door to another world. I can forget about the laundry, the bills that need to be paid, and the upcoming doctor's visit. For a little while, even if it's only thirty minutes, I get to live someone else's life. And though the author has created this character, I've never seen her so for all I know, she could look just like me. How can television compete with that?

Author Bio


I started writing years ago, and my first attempt was a contemporary romance that will never see the light of day. I think I may even have thrown it away by now. It was absolutely horrific as I knew nothing about well…anything to do with writing.

After that, I started writing fantasy romances about wizards and wizards, and once those took off, I segued to paranormal romances (hello, vampires and ghosts) and romantic suspense. I also write articles for various magazines, including The Writer’s Journal, Writer’s Magazine, Writer’s Weekly, Writing for Dollars, Absolute Write, and Funds for Writers.

I’m fortunate to make my home in historical Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city. Beautiful people. When I’m not writing, I love to read paranormal romance, romantic suspense, young adult fantasy and paranormal, create videos, shop, cross-stitch, cook, and drink lots of coffee.

1 comment:

  1. I have always hated the phrase "I wish I had time to read" or "I don't have time to read." Honestly, I dislike the phrase I don't have time when added to anything because I feel like if you want something enough you will make time for it. The I don't read would come second to those phrases. I wish people understood how often I have learned something from a fiction book or a fiction book making me want to learn more about a time period. I do watch a lot of television as well as reading but it doesn't give me the urge to learn like a book does. I may not read a lot or as often as I should but I will never put books away and never pick them up again. I would give up tv and my computer before I give up my books.

    Thank you for the post and reading my own little soap box rant.

    Melissa

    abinormyl @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete