Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Interview + Review: Beer and Groping in Las Vegas by Angela Quarles

Contemporary Romantic Comedy w/Paranormal Elements


Publisher: Secret Cravings Publishing
ISBN: 9781618854612
Release Date: December 19, 2012
Length: Novelette (13,500 words - 42 pages)

| AmazonGoodreads |
Can a djinn and a magic slot machine bring two geeks together?

Riley McGregor is a geek trapped in a Good Ole Boy body and as owner of a microbrewery, smart chicks never look at him twice.

Rejected by a geek who wanted to “trade up,” Mirjam Linna would rather immerse herself in work than be the girlfriend-of-the-moment. Stranded in a Vegas hotel, she makes a wish—a night of hot sex with the man of her dreams. It's granted. She agrees to dinner, but afterward, she’ll say thanks, but no thanks, and see what’s on the SyFy channel. But when they meet, they're surprised to find they had a shared connection in their past. Sparks fly as these two learn to be in the moment, be themselves and find love.

Fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, Monty Python, Firefly and Marvin the Martian will enjoy this romantic comedy.



The author built a spectacular, character-centric, story about discovering love {with a little help from a djinn}. This was a sexy, fun, and geeky novella-length read about how a relationship can develop overnight. The author created characters with realistic fears and insecurities – and the impact of having someone love you…for you.

Have you ever read a blurb so intriguing that you disregarded the fact it’s not within your customary genres? That is exactly what happened when I read about Riley and Mirjam. I HIGHLY recommend this read – both the blurb and cover grabbed my attention {the title not so much}.

Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge the author for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

What was the inspiration behind this book?


I work in a bookstore and was trying to think of titles for possible projects and was shelving some Hunter S. Thompson, and I was like hmm, what could be a twist off of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and first I was like Beer and Loathing, but I write lighthearted romances, and then 'groping' popped into my head. In the next instant I had the hero, as I thought he should be a microbrewer, and that the heroine would be an overworked software programmer. Once I had that, things started falling into place, including the description for him of being a geek trapped in a good ole boy's body. I had that tagline for him before I even started writing the story. It was the first time I came up with a title first.

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects? Will we see the djinn again?


I landed an agent this past fall for my time travel romance, MUST LOVE BREECHES and we just started shopping it to publishers, so I have my fingers crossed. I'm writing the first draft for the sequel and all I can say right now is that it will be another time travel set in the past. How's that for vague? LOL. I don't want to say more as we're pitching this as a series and it hasn't sold yet. Meanwhile, I'm revising my NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) draft from November, which is a meta fiction romance called NOT ANOTHER DARCY, which is about an indie bookstore owner who helps train literary manifestations that come to life in her store. I also need to revise my Southern steampunk STEAM ME UP, RAWLEY.
I hope we see the djinn again! If so, it'll probably be another novelette where he/she helps out another couple. It would be fun to tell its story though too.

What book(s) are you looking forward to this year?


I'm looking forward to Kevin Hearne's latest Iron Druid Chronicles book, Hunted, which comes out in June! Love that series. And Tessa Dare's Any Duchess Will Do. Oh, and Ruthie Knox's Along Came Trouble and Flirting With Disaster

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?


Oh man, hmmm. I'd like to be interesting and say that I have to don my lucky Jayne hat, or rub the belly of my wooden Buddha, but nope. I just sit and write. I do have trouble with staying off social network sites, so I find that on those days, I go to the coffee shop and write. I also find the hashtag #1k1hr on Twitter helpful for keeping me on task. For this latest one that I'm in the middle of writing, I am trying something new—I picked out a scented candle that I thought evoked the era I'm writing about to help get me in the mood, but am also hoping it'll act as a sense memory for when I have to go back and revise it. Hopefully it'll help me dive back into the era and these characters when I smell it again. We'll see J

Favorite quote from a TV show?


It's a good thing you kept that singular, or I'd give you all my faves from Firefly. Hard to pick one though—so many of them still make me giggle after all this time. But I'm going to go with one that was used to great effect as a recurring element in one of my fave episodes, The Message:
Tracey: When you can't run anymore, you crawl... and when you can't do that --
Zoë: You find someone to carry you.



Meet the Author

Angela works at an independent bookstore and lives in an historic house in the beautiful and quirky town of Mobile, AL, with her two matched gray cats, Darcy and Bingley. When she's not writing, she enjoys the usual stuff like gardening, reading, hanging out, eating, drinking, chasing squirrels out of the walls and creating the occasional knitted scarf. She's had a varied career, including website programming and directing a small local history museum.

She's an admitted geek and is proud to be among the few but mighty Browncoats who watched Firefly the first night it aired. She was introduced to the wonderful world of science fiction by her father, by way of watching reruns of the original Star Trek in her tweens and later giving her a copy of Walter M. Miller Jr's A Canticle for Leibowitz as a teenager. She hasn't looked back since.

She has a B.A. in Anthropology and International Studies with a minor in German from Emory University, and a Masters in Heritage Preservation from Georgia State University. She was an exchange student to Finland in high school and studied abroad in Vienna one summer in college. She recently found representation with Maura Kye-Casella at Don Congdon, Assoc.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook


2 comments:

  1. Love Firefly..browncoats rule! I love romantic suspense and your review has me adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete