Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Review ~ Forbidden Fires by Madeline Baker


Caitlyn Carmichael hates Indians. They killed her beloved brothers for no reason at all, and she has promised to never forgive them. But that’s before she looks into the defiant eyes of the half-breed her father has captured. Despite her vow to hate Indians until the day she dies, Caitlyn knows she cannot let her father hang an innocent man.

Stalking Wolf’s proud bearing earns her respect. Though she tries to fight it, she can’t resist her attraction to him. In his arms, thoughts of hatred and propriety are soon forgotten. Lost in the wonder of his embrace, she surrenders to the heat of forbidden fires…
A Blush® Historical Romance from Ellora’s Cave
Publisher’s Note: This book was previously published elsewhere in 1990.
Blush Sensuality Level: This is a suggestive romance (love scenes are not graphic).
I had high expectations when I picked up Forbidden Fires and Madeline Baker didn't disappoint. I finished the entire book in a short 24 hours. I love historicals and this one is no exception. I found it impossible not to be wooed by Rafe Gallagher, or Stalking Wolf, and equally impossible not to align myself with Caitlyn Carmichael. Baker does a wonderful job of incorporating several lesser characters into the fray as well as a multitude of twisty-turney subplots that all join together to make one heck of a 19th century story! I look forward to reading more from Madeline Baker in the future, but hope she will watch out for head-hopping within the same chapter. As wonderful as it is to know the inner thoughts of various characters, I feel it would make for a more smooth reading experience if she separated the different character's thoughts with scene breaks or chapter breaks. I also loved her obviously studied level of detail that to some may come across as a bit preachy, but I ate it up! In all, I give Forbidden Fires a round of applause and five steaming cups!  Aho !
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to BBMoreB free of charge by Ellora's Cave for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment