Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review ~ Walking Disaster (Beautiful #2) by Jamie McGuire

Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster.

Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.
All I can say about this book is wow. I fell in love with Travis Maddox in Beautiful Disaster but reading his point of view in Walking Disaster made me fall even harder. While Walking Disaster was just Travis’ point of view from Beautiful Disaster, there was more to it than that. I didn’t feel like I was re- reading the same book at all. You were able to see Travis’ side of situations Abby wasn’t even involved in the first book. You also felt everything that Travis was feeling during the excruciating breakup he had with Abby. Honestly after reading it from both sides I think, Travis had it way worse than Abby. I think my favorite part about being inside Travis’ head was the ability to really connect with him as a character. Sometimes when you read a book that comes from both POV you don’t necessarily connect to both characters, but Jamie took this character to another level. It was almost as if you become Travis and feel and go through everything he is while he is. You get a better understanding of why he is the way he is and why he reacts the way he does.

I still didn’t quite understand what was with the nickname Pigeon and it didn’t explain it in the book, but then I read an interview with Jamie McGuire and apparently this is a Lady and the Tramp reference. It has been years since I have seen Lady in the Tramp but apparently Tramp calls Lady Pigeon and back in the 50’s when the movie was made that used to be a common term for affection. All I can think of is dirty birds, but I guess these are different times.

The epilogue for this book is also different from Beautiful Disaster and ties up Abby and Travis’ story rather nicely. Overall I thought this was an amazing book and would definitely recommend you pick it up.

Alexandria

No comments:

Post a Comment