Thursday, May 16, 2013

Spotlight + Guest Post ~ Soul Magic (Triad #3) by Poppy Dennison

Blood runs soul-deep. Cormac hasn’t been the same since the night the High Moon Pack was attacked. With his magic weakened, he’s consumed by a bloodlust he hasn’t felt since he first became a vampire. His need to replenish his power makes him a danger to his last remaining family member, and his hunger makes him careless. And that’s just the beginning of his troubles. Feeding from pack beta Liam Benson was supposed to slake his appetite, not leave him craving more.

Simon Osborne and Gray Townsend are trying to fight a being history says shouldn’t exist—one with all three types of magic. The pack must use all of their resources to combat the mysterious triad, even turning to the shady Council of Mages for help. While Cormac struggles to reconcile his past failures with his current desires, Simon must attempt the impossible: an alliance between mind, body, and soul.

About The Author

A sassy southern lady, Poppy Dennison developed an obsession with things that go bump in the night in her early years after a barn door flew off its hinges and nearly squashed her. Convinced it was a ghost trying to get her attention, she started looking for other strange and mysterious happenings around her. Not satisfied with what she found, Poppy has traveled to Greece, Malaysia and England to find inspiration for the burly bears and silver foxes that melt her butter. Her love of paranormal continues to flourish nearly thirty years later, and she writes steamy love stories about the very things that used to keep her up all night. If her childhood ghost is lucky, maybe one day she’ll give him his own happily ever after. 
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads |

Calling Danny Zuko 

By: Poppy Dennison

One of my favorite moments in the movie Grease is when Danny and Sandy meet up again at the school pep rally. She does her little squee and says “Danny!” and then he has this prepubescent squeak in his voice when he says “Sandy!” back to her.

But then…he realizes he’s not that guy. He’s not the same Danny she met at the beach, not the same romantic hero of a boyfriend who frolicked in the surf with her. So he changes, right there before her eyes, and becomes the Danny he is at school. She’s confused and hurt, as she should be. Would the real Danny Zuko please stand up?

Danny has a character to play. He’s in the theater of his own mind, and his friends are his audience. He’s a fantastic actor. He has them all fooled. But the façade starts to crack after a while. He’s confused as to who he is and who he wants to be.

In Soul Magic, the third book in my Triad trilogy, Cormac has a Danny Zuko moment or two of his own. He’s a vampire, but he’s crafted this mild-mannered character  he plays to convince everyone he’s harmless. Liam knows better. Liam has seen Cormac kill, and he knows the brutality beneath the surface.

So who is the real Cormac?

One of the lessons I learned during my days in theater was how to lose yourself in a role. A few years ago, I was cast to play the bumbling town slut in a murder mystery. I’d auditioned for the role of the slightly dingy southern belle. When I spoke to the director, I actually asked him if he’d made a mistake. I thought he must have confused me with someone else!

But no, he was convinced, and I had to figure out a way to become a character very far from my comfort zone. Wear tons of makeup? Okay. Wear a dress cut down to *there*? Um…okay, if I have to. Flirt with every single male both on stage and in the audience? Oh hell, what have I gotten myself into?

Like Danny and Cormac, I found a way to lose myself in that character. And you know what? I had more fun playing her than I ever had in another role. I learned a lot about myself, and stretched my limits. (Note to self: send that director a thank you note.)

Danny figures it out too. I love the image of him wearing his uniform of black pants and a tight black T-shirt…but with the letter sweater. There are ways to have more than one side to your personality and be okay. Me? I can be conservative in my dress and actions at times, but there’s that inner bumbling town slut who gets to come out and play once in a while. Of course, she likes to wear her version of a letter sweater too. ;)

But what about Cormac? Can he find a way to make sense of the two sides to himself? Is the vampire who hunts and feeds the same as the doting figure his descendant Simon has come to rely on for knowledge and support? Cormac’s journey in Soul Magic is the struggle to find the answers.

Will the real vampire Cormac please stand up?  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comparison.... makes me look forward to starting the series! Hugs, Z.

    ReplyDelete