Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Guest Post + Spotlight ~ Most Eligible by Lindsay Patton

There are a lot of different factors to creating a great book, and I will talk about some of those. The foundation, characters, location, research and editing are all very important aspects of a book.

The foundation of a book is the structure to which the book stands. Without a good plot, a book wouldn’t even be looked at. It gives the story a leg to stand on and creates a reference guide to follow.

Another important aspect of book-writing is believable characters. They don’t necessarily have to be likeable, but with that being said, no one wants a hateful hero or heroine. This is the perfect way to not have a reader get past the first page. In Most Eligible, I made Gavin sort of broody and reclusive. He was very private about his life and only had a few close people. In Aislinn’s story, which is currently being written, we see Aislinn as an outgoing, sweet and friendly person. She has many friends, and is an open book. She’s not as jaded as Gavin and her heart still remains intact, unlike his.

Although it is not totally necessary, I believe location is a key factor in book writing. I prefer a book that has that piece of information, because it gives me something to imagine when a character goes out for a summer’s jog or something to that effect. I grew up in Louisiana. The coldest our winters ever got was in the mid-20s, if that. That type of cold would only last a little bit and then the next day, it could be in the 60’s. One year, I went outside on Christmas Day in shorts and a tank top. The weather is very unpredictable. In Aislinn’s story, to explain why in May, she is wearing a sundress, wouldn’t be that easy unless we know that she lives in New Orleans. Gavin goes from sunny Los Angeles to New York. That is a big difference for both him and Aislinn. It gives a nice visual.

Research is something that I can pick up on immediately if it wasn’t done properly. If someone isn’t familiar with how the weather is in New Orleans in May, and I read a book that incorrectly depicts this, I will be frustrated and know that the author didn’t do their research. The same goes for flight times, how an airport runs, something as small as how close a vehicle can get to a terminal. I’m not saying I will pick up on all inaccuracies, but the ones I have lived through, I will. You have to be reminded of the chances that someone from the area that you’re writing about could read the book and know that what you wrote isn’t true to the area. If I think something sounds a bit unbelievable, I will look it up to see if it is. Research is a simple as a Google search.

Lastly, editing is something that is near and dear to my heart. We have a love/hate relationship. I know how important it is and I would never publish a book without thoroughly editing. I’m pretty good at seeing grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes, but don’t think that just because you are good at these things, that your eye alone will be good enough. My mom knows about all of the content things like proper sentence structure and passive voice. These are things that I didn’t even know were a thing until she told me. If I had just edited for the things I’m good at, my book wouldn’t even be worth a dime. If I’m reading a book and I see a mistake, it takes away from the story. I believe my mom told me that the average of mistakes found in a full length novel is nine, which is grand scheme isn’t a lot, but when you find that many in the first chapter, you have a problem.

I hope this helped give you a simple guide to get started on writing a book. If you do, I want to read it!

Check out Most Eligible in both print (https://www.createspace.com/4391324) and in Kindle eBook format (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ED97MBO). Thanks for stopping by!

Gavin Dimarco is a journalist for The Los Angeles Times. As Gavin Martin, however, he is a successful author of historical mystery novels. When his agent calls with an opportunity to be the next reality TV “Bachelor,” he agrees—with one stipulation. None of the ladies vying for his heart can know his true identity until the end of the show. Gavin’s past has made him leery of women seeking his fortune, and that fear has left him alone, with only his dog and his love of reading as company. When Gavin meets the girl of his dreams right before Most Eligible airs, he’s ready to abandon the show. Everyone knows that you can’t find true love in a week on a TV show. When Hollywood reality meets Gavin’s reality, he has to make a tough choice—is he still eligible?

Please note: This book is a sweet romance, meaning a heat level of one. Also it is told in first person.

About the Author:

Lindsay is the youngest of three, having been born in 1984. She grew up in New Orleans and now lives in the Lafayette, LA area with her husband, Chris and their puppy, Fiona.

She has been writing for as long as she can remember, but it wasn’t until 2010 that she decided to pursue a writing career and finish her first novel, Most Eligible. Her confidence and drive came from the most encouraging parents a girl could ask for, a wonderful husband, as well as some friends who have read the many short stories and other works she has written over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment