Sunday, December 29, 2013

Guest Post ~ All That's Unspoken (A Next Door Category Romance) by Constance Phillips

After eight years, Hailey is back in Caseville, Michigan. Just months after her mother’s death, her siblings want to put their father in a nursing home and rent out the family farm. If that wasn’t enough, the prospective tenant is Nate, the high school crush she left behind the day after they acted on their mutual attraction. 

After high school, Nate Jenkins planned to leave small town behind, but life dealt him a different hand of cards. He’s now back in Caseville, raising his daughter and running his family’s diner. His daughter’s speech disorder has been improved by therapeutic horse riding and if he can lease the old Lambert farm, he can get her a horse of her own. The only thing standing in the way is Hailey, the same woman who left him eight years ago without even saying goodbye. 

Can they get over all that’s unspoken between them?

All That’s Unspoken – Life in A Northern Town 

In a very early draft of All That’s Unspoken, I set the story in a small town in Montana. It was pretty clear to me from the very beginning that this was a story about missed chances and regrets. It was about the two character who were forming in my mind, but it was also about life in a small, northern town. 

Where my couple was from was just as important as the who they were. I wasn’t too far into that first draft when I realized I had a connection that could bring the story even more life. I was from a small, northern town in Michigan – maybe Hailey and Nate were from that same town. 

With a small twist. 

The town (Caseville, MI) that I decided to set these two – and their families in – is actually about seven miles from the small town (Pigeon, MI) I grew up in. Caseville is a beach community and had a tourism life in the summer. Even though, this story is set in the winter, I wanted that piece of the community to be part of this book. 

Did the name of the town really make a big difference to the story, you might ask. The answer would be no. What did change when I shifted the setting directly east was my view of it. Instead of drawing and creating Nate’s families diner and the old farmhouse that Hailey’s family lives in, I was able to picture it clearly in my mind. I could smell the scents of pancakes on a griddle and see the beach that is so near and dear to the two of them. 

So while this book is not about my experiences in a quaint little town up north, my experiences there helped me give life to where the story is set. I hope that comes across on the page.

About The Author

Constance Phillips lives in Ohio with her husband, daughter, and four canine kids. Her son, now on his own, is planning a wedding, reconfirming that romance still lives and breathes. 

When not writing stories of finding and rediscovering love, Constance and her husband spend the hours planning a cross-country motorcycle trip for the not-so-distant future…if they can find a sidecar big enough for the pups. 

Fairyproof and Resurrecting Harry are available now through Crescent Moon Press. The Novella sequel to Fairyproof, Council Courtship is also now available. Her first Contemporary Romance, All That's Unspoken, will be available from Turquoise Morning Press December 15, 2013 and The Ultimate Catch will be released in 2014 from Whiskey Creek Press

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me today! It is so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story, of love lost, the hurt involved and discovering your future. I love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! It makes me so happy to hear you enjoyed it!

      Delete