Popular Post

Posted by : Heather Coulter Tuesday, January 28, 2014

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES

In the new Mastered series by New York Times bestselling author Lorelei James, a woman’s desire to shatter her inhibitions leaves her unprepared for where that erotic journey will take her….

Former small-town girl Amery Hardwick is living her dream as a graphic designer in Denver, Colorado. She’s focused on building her business, which leaves little time for dating—not that she needs a romantic entanglement to fulfill her. When her friend signs up for a self-defense class as part of her recovery after an attack, Amery joins her for support. That’s where she meets him.

Ronin Black, owner of the dojo, is so drawn to Amery that he takes over her training—in public and in private. The enigmatic Ronin pushes Amery’s boundaries from the start, and with each new tryst, Amery becomes addicted to the pleasure and to him. But when Amery senses Ronin is hiding something, she questions her total trust in him, despite the undeniable thrill of his possession.

 
Bound by Lorelei James is a novel I strongly recommend. This story took me a couple of tries to really get into but once I did I was hooked. I will continue to follow this series and this author. In fact, I have already looked up some of her other titles for future reading as credits become available in my Audible account. 

Amery, grew up in a small town the daughter of a strict Christian minister, before moving to Denver following the man who claimed to love her in his dream of playing for the Rockies and her dream of being a graphic designer. She became the owner of her own graphic design business but unsure of her power as a woman – but when a friend is attacked and joins a self-defense class Amery joins for support. Ronin, black belt and owner of the dojo, is drawn to Amery – enough so he joins in training the beginners’ class she is in. In his personal life, Ronin, is a Kinbaku and shibari artist at a local dungeon, as well as being a billionaire son of an international food company out of Japan. Unfortunately, since his experience with people knowing those things has not been positive, he does not trust Amery enough to tell her. Amery feels betrayed and there the story begins.

Other than playing into the stereotypes of innocent Christian girl brought into the rope/BDSM world and eccentric billionaire dominant the author does a great job of bringing the story to life. Does the rope and shibari world exist? Absolutely! I suppose making the rope artist rich just makes it a better romance, though I think it would have been more interesting to have him just the owner of a dojo. The stereotype of the quiet Christian girl being brought into the bondage/BDSM world is a little too common in the erotica arena for my taste – though as a quiet Christian girl I am certainly proof that stereotype does exist, at least on some level. The author does such a good job with the idea of the dojo that I was thinking while reading that I really enjoyed my self-defense class years ago with the basis in Tae-Quan-Do and I should quit pretending I go to the gym and go back to doing those classes. 

Did the author do a good job creating believable characters? Yes, stereotypes exist for a reason and if you leave the billionaire part out I could easily believe these are people I would meet at Shibaricon. The rope and even the jujitsu part are believable. I have been in dojo’s where Sensei’s with the virility and commanding/dominating presence of Sensei Black (Ronin) are at very least a wished for presence. A master of shibari when tying up their submissive has a very intense connection. Something that is incredibly rare and special to experience. The chance to play or be bound by someone with that level of competence and connection with the dominance is very rare – here’s to hoping I get that chance again.
 
Disclosure: This book was provided to BBMoreB free of charge for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.
Sarah

About The Author

Lorelei James is the USA Today and New York Times bestselling author of the Blacktop Cowboys and Rough Riders series as well as the steamy new Mastered series. She lives in the Black Hills of western South Dakota with her family. Visit her online at www.loreleijames.com, www.facebook.com/lorelei-james, and www.twitter.com/loreleijames.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

{ 12 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. I have read the entire rough riders series and loved them. I have high hopes for this book and cant wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all of the Rough Riders series. They were my first cowboy romances and got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the Rough Rider series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've liked all of her books that I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive read several of her Rough Rider series but I don't think I can pick a favorite. I liked them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first book I read by Lorelei James was Long Hard Ride and I was hooked.. But they are all my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Congrats Jodi you are the winner of the paperback copy of Bound (Mastered #1) by Lorelei James. Check your email. Heather

      I hope you enjoy this book as much as Sarah!!!

      Delete
  8. I could never choose just one. The whole Rough Riders series is a favorite. But I am looking forward to reading Mastered. Sounds like another success for Lorelei.
    Thanks for the chance.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything by her yet, but I hope to soon!
    I am currently reading Winter Kisses by Addison Moore.
    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love her Rough Riders Series!!❤️

    ReplyDelete

- Copyright © Books Books & More Books - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -