Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Review ~ Push by Claire Wallis

I feel like I am wrapped in a cyclone. Everything is whirling around me, drawing the air out of my lungs and filling me with the best kind of turmoil. Every time his tongue slides against mine, a prickle in my gut tells me how right we are together. How much I need David. How much I need us.

I hope the cyclone never stops.

Emma Searfoss has spent a lifetime trying to escape her abusive stepfather. It's why she moved far away from home. It's why she's kept no ties with her remaining family. And it's why she's got a major rage problem. When her neighbor shows up to fix the kitchen in her new apartment, his enigmatic charm calms the fire in her. David is cool and collected, and he makes Emma feel safe for the first time ever. But David has his own chilling past--his six previous girlfriends have all disappeared without a trace. Emma's walking a dangerous line, but David's pull is intoxicating. And impossible to resist...

This is a new adult romance with mature content for readers 17 and up.
 
Emma and David both had a pretty awful childhood which unfortunately leaves them both with lots of problems. Emma's father died when she was young and her mother blames herself for his death. She decides to remarry a horrible man, Michael, not because she loves him but because he has money and can take care of her and her children. Michael is pretty much a manipulative asshole and turns Emma's brothers into horrible men as well. Who takes their 13 year old little sister to a frat party? Somehow Emma grows up, goes to college, and gets a job as an electrical engineer.

David's mother died when he was young and he was raised by his alcoholic father. The only good thing that his father did for him was train him in construction and had him work for him. David seems to be an all-around good guy, maybe a little sad though. Emma and David meet when David comes to fix her kitchen in the new apartment she has just moved into. He is the maintenance guy for multiple properties of the landlord. They banter back and forth with flirting and eventually get together. We slowly get into both of their heads and find out what happened to David's former girlfriends that all disappeared.

The whole story is an emotional roller coaster and you can feel the little bit of crazy that both Emma and David are. The ending of the book leaves with quite the cliffhanger and I am hoping that means a sequel. Definitely a good read and I was really surprised when I read this was the author's first novel. I look forward to reading more from her.
Disclosure: This book was provided to BBMoreB free of charge for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own
Alexandria

No comments:

Post a Comment